Needless to say, there are MANY surprises on the way for you & me; it's just the beginning of a journey. AND to kick this blog off, I thought, nothing beats the good old timeless pieces! Here are a few that I think are ESSENTIAL in every lady's closet and that definitely stand the ruthless test of time :D
- A simple tailored black blazer! Yes, nothing spells classic like a feminine black blazer… a notch lapel that superbly cascades to a single breasted light linen and then tapers around the waist to subtly hint at becoming curves. The absolute beauty of this number is that it goes with just about ANYTHING - flowing tops, peplums, skirts, jeans, hot shorts, you name it. Feminine colors like lavender, champagne, olive and red are flattering. So, if you DON'T have one of these, grab your wallet and head through the front door! I'm sure you can get some great buys online as well, and in one of my upcoming blogs I'll make sure I devote it entirely to online purchases so you can treat yourself to some GREAT steals
- A little red dress that you can fall in love with and that loves you right back! The term may be "The little black dress" but honestly, I don't think any color can sweep one off their feet like red. It screams passion, risk, love, zest! And if you have the right bod to carry it off, I'd say throw caution to the wind and embrace the color! :D Imagine a sea of pretty LBDs and a single red item that grabs the spotlight… fab, huh? But if you need a while to tone those arms, then play safe with good old black. Make sure your dress has the one feature that sets it apart, probably a bow at the shoulder, an interesting neckline, a backless gown, some lace at the waist or a fun belt!
- A great pair of tights and/or leggings :D Okay I just can't emphasize how crucial this is for survival. Ideally they should be a blend of spandex, cotton and polyester and just have FUN with the colors! But PLEASE try to avoid bold patterns unless you want to see onlookers stab their eyes. For all those petite girls out there, here's a trick I use - use footwear and leggings of matching color to create an illusion of length! Ankle-length leggings are catching on pretty fast too. It's perfect for days you are cold or for shorts and dresses that are too short for your comfort. Also works well with all your boyfriend-tees, girls! My favorites are marled tights which add more character & definition to your legs. If you want to distract attention rather than emphasize, go for non-see-through tights or those with a vertical black seam.
- Printed scarves - the go-to item for an outfit that is classic but screams for that extra kick! Poppy yellow shorts coupled with a lose graphic tee and a printed scarf are PERFECT for a brunch with friends. Tie your hair up in a lose bun, put on those leopard-printed shades, a cute pair of flats and throw on a tote bag to complete the look and you are good to go!
- This should have featured right at the top of this list - Sturdy, reliable, comfortable denim blue jeans. Any and every shade of blue. The darker shades for the curvy women and lighter for thin legs - either way, make sure they're the RIGHT size and make sure they're BLUE, ladies!! Yes you can always go for that beautiful peach shade and that tempting gray hue - but blue is a MUST! Flared, bell-bottomed, skinny fit or straight; they're all undeniably unarguably the best pair of ANYTHING you can have. And you don't even have to treat them well! In fact, the more worn, the better. I like to get comfortable in my jeans and get it to fit my shape gradually! Perfect for movie nights, flights, road trips and just about anything. Grab a pair of boots to go with it, and you've taken it to another level :)
- Shorts, shorts, shorts - can't have enough of 'em! These days tailored shorts are even allowed at work, so how about a pair of suede shorts or a high-waist pair? Classic denim ones are great for day wear, but steer clear of daisy dukes, girls, there are better ways to attract attention. Try beautiful springtime colors for a girl-next-door vibe or even pleated gray or black shorts for a refined English aura. This piece is so lovely, and goes BEAUTIFULLY with graphic tees, long tees (the ones you usually set aside for your tights!), peplums, tank tops and the like. Shorts are meant to taste your adventurous side, and are so versatile that you can create your own customized look by mixing and matching! Bold statement bracelets and anklets make this outfit shine.
- This is a pair of clothing that should be close to every girl's heart - P.Jays! Ladies, our pajamas are the single article of clothing that are allowed to be as goofy as we want. You can say yes to Betty Boop, Spongebob Squarepants, Minnie Mouse, pandas, giant cupcakes, cutesy polka dots - pick your choice because PJ's are all about you, all about comfort. Boxer pajamas are really cute and comfy too, and you can find some great buys on Victoria's Secret. Although I'm not an elitist, I have a soft corner for innerwear and nightwear offered at VS solely because it is just.so.comfy! It's soft, silky, it's everything you want it to be. So If you can, then invest in a pair because in addition to everything, they're incredibly lasting. You'll be grateful :)
P.S.: Satin is a really good choice for a pajama set!
- Last on my list is a lightweight sweater. This is perfect for when it's a bit nippy outside! Pastels are very attractive and so are the darker shades of blue and gray. They can be in the form of cardigans, tunics, jackets and the necklines can vary from v-necks and crewnecks to the exciting shawl necks and scoopnecks! I even saw a really cute chiffon-back sweater online that I think is out of the world! Keep a variety of these if you experience light winter at any time of the year. Now here's my secret… for a fun night-out, pair a lose lightweight baby pink tunic sweater with a pair of silver sequined shorts for a chic look! A simple way to look like a million bucks while keeping it light on the pocket :D
I hope you liked today's write-up & I encourage you to participate and write your ideas in the comments section or e-mail me on email@example.com!
Yours till the road kills!,